What are fungal toenails and their symptoms?
Fungal toenails usually begin as a yellowish area under the nail. They can later spread to cover the entire nail, changing its color and thickening it. If pain becomes present within your fungal toenail, treatment should take place. Some symptoms of toenail fungus include:
- Yellowing of toenail
- Brittleness of nail
- Nail thickening
- Nail deformity
- Nail becomes dull in luster
How can I tell the difference between dystrophy and fungal toenails?
Sometimes, toenail fungus is easily confused with dystrophy because they look very similar. Dystrophy is caused by repeated pressure on the toe, and not fungal infections. Microscopic lab tests on nail fragments help identify toenail fungus.
What are the causes of toenail fungus?
There are several possible causes for fungal toenail. It is important to identify any possible ways you may have extracted your fungal infection in order to prevent any future infections. Some common ways that patients obtain fungal toenail include:
- Tiny, microscopic cuts on feet can allow bacteria to seep in
- Bacteria festers in warm, moist environments
- Make sure to change socks everyday
- Try to keep shoes dry, powder helps remove moisture from feet
- Don’t walk barefoot in public places like public showers, swimming pools, and gyms
- Heavy foot perspiration
- Family history of fungal toenail
What are the potential treatment options for toenail fungus?
There are many treatment options to help with fungal toenail. Some common treatments include:
- Anti fungal medication
- Medicated cream/nail polish
- Laser treatment
- If all other options have been tried, surgery may be used as a last resort
If you think you are suffering from the symptoms of fungal toenail, contact the specialists at our office immediately. The sooner we identify your condition, the sooner we can help explore treatment options to help you. Call 847.854.8000 today to schedule an appointment.